It is safe to assume that our hands are one of the most important “tool” we use every day. However, despite being so useful to us, we may not take care of them properly. Like performing hand exercises frequently to loosen the joints and muscles to improve hand mobility. Repetitive tasks such as typing would regularly put our hands in fixed positions. As a result, our hands may risk becoming a victim to the negative effects that come with overuse. For example, stiffness and swelling in the joints and muscles of our hands.
In certain cases, you may also run the risk of developing arthritis, a degenerative joint disease. Whereby the cartilage or “padding” in-between your joints wear out, causing bones to rub together. In turn, it causes inflammation and pain in your hands. So, before you must start asking “how do I slow down arthritis in my hands?”, it’s important to start taking measures and improve your hand mobility frequently. These exercises are also a great activity for seniors to try.
Improve Hand Mobility Exercise 1: Fist Clenches
A simple exercise you can do almost anywhere can help to improve hand flexibility.
- Stretch your hand out flat.
- Slowly curl your fingers into a fist, place the thumb outside, avoid clenching your hand too tightly.
- Slowly open your fist till fingers are once again stretched flat.
- Repeat this exercise 10 times with both hands.
Improve Hand Mobility Exercise 2: Hand Stretch
An easy hand stretching exercise to perform. This can help to loosen joints and relieve stiffness in your hands
- Best to do while standing, place your palms together as if in a prayer position.
- Move your elbows downwards so they touch each other, with your hands in front of your face. Now, the tip of your fingers and elbows are touching each other.
- Slowly spread your elbows and lower your hands till around your waist or stop when you feel the stretch.
- Maintain the stretch for 10 – 30 seconds.
Improve Hand Mobility Exercise 3: Hand Strengthening Presses
This hand and wrist strengthening exercise can help build muscles from your wrist to elbows
- While seating down, put your palms beneath a table.
- Press upwards against the bottom of the table.
- Hold this position for 5 – 10 seconds.
Improve Hand Mobility Exercise 4: “O” fingers
So, you’ve been performing hands and wrist exercises to improve mobility. But you should not forget about your fingers.
- Point your hand and finger straight up, keeping them together.
- Form an “O” shape by slowly curling the index finger to your thumb.
- Hold the position for 20 – 30 sec.
- Perform step 2 similarly with your following fingers.
- Repeat 5 -10 times with both hands.
Improve Hand Mobility Exercise 5: Finger Lift
This can help to strengthen your finger joints. Along with increasing mobility and flexibility
- Place your hand flat on a table
- Start to slowly lift your thumb upward, off the table
- Hold the position for 5 secs then lower your thumb
- Do the same for each finger on your hand
- Repeat 8 – 10 times with both hands
Try incorporating these exercises into your daily or physical routine, it can potentially help in preventing arthritis in your hands. But remember to consult your doctor on whether these exercises are safe for to perform, especially when you have an injury.